Exploring kindness through storytime
What better way to introduce and encourage the topic of kindness & helping others than through storytime!
As a play therapist I’m a big fan of bibliotherapy and as a mom I absolutely love cuddling up with my kids as we explore a good book. I say explore because in our house with three kids ages 6 and under sometimes the pages don’t go in order, words are invented, and voices are always added.
In her article “Learning with Books” Jean Warren makes some excellent points regarding reading and learning – “So much of the learning value from books is from helping children make connections and from encouraging them to experiment with words and actions. Stories can give meaning to your children’s lives. Stories can introduce them to different life styles plus bring comfort and curiosity. Actively engage your children thru stories. Encourage them to explore different aspects of stories. If possible, provide your children with simple props to re-enact their favorite stories. Let stories be the doors to discovery for your child.”
I agree 100% – let stories be the doors to discovery and let that discovery be the kindness within themselves and in others around them!
Cultivating kindness while growing a love for reading – it’s a win win! In my blog post “Growing Service Minded Children” I share three points – the first one is starting a conversation about kindness and how this can be initiated through books. Books are such a great conversation starter!
I’ve included a list of some of our favorite kindness books. While reading ask questions about the characters, their situations, and how those scenarios impacted your kids. Look for teachable moments and go further with the kindness conversation!
*10 awesome books that promote kindness!
- Kindness is cooler, Mrs. Ruler by Margery Cuyler
- How Kind! By Mary Murphy (good for little kiddos)
- The Berenstain Bears, Kindness Counts by Michael Berenstain
- Ordinary Mary’s Extraordinary Deed by Emily Pearson
- Good People Everywhere by Lynea Gillen
- Kindness Counts! By Debby Anderson (one of our favorite interactive books)
- Kindness to Share from A to Z by Todd Snow
- I See Kindness Everywhere by Shelley Frost
- Reach Out and Give by Cheri Meiners
- We’re looking forward to this beautifully illustrated book – COMING SOON: If you plant a seed by Kadir Nelson